The Soursop trees grew along the trail that we used to follow everyday to school and we never felt hungry when coming back to school because the fruits provided a good source of food. One thing I remember about the fruit, it tasted sweet and a sour, and probably that is why it is called Soursop. In our local lingo, we call it as Lampun and in Malay it is known as Durian Belanda. I believe that the fruit is also rich of vitamin C, no wonder during my childhood we hardly had flu or other diseases related to Vitamin C deficiencies.
I will be talking specifically of the Soursop leaves in this entry and will try to write about the fruit in a later post hopefully.So, what are the medical properties of the Soursop leaves? Well, as I did my research over the internet, I found out that the leaves do have an effective repair power and could kill malignant cells for 12 types of cancer, including cancers of the colon, breast, prostate, lung and pancreatic cancer. It could also elevate energy in the body and increase stamina and fitness. It also reported to be able to help boost immune system and help fight infections.
On other websites I also found out that the Soursop leaf and bark (Powder) may cure diabetes by regulating blood sugar, which shows its high effectiveness in endocrine commitments: liver, kidney, thyroid, pancreas, ovary, prostate, intestines, muscle relaxant smooth (heart), gall bladder, appendix and fights lung cancer or Lewis, breast cancer and brain tumors, hypotensive, anti-spasmodic, vasodilator, eliminates dust mites that cause asthma and bronchial diseases. The leaf tea cure liver problems, improves the function of the pancreas. It is effective to deworm children, malaria cure, indicated to raise the defenses in patients with chemotherapy and also for people with HIV (AIDS).
Well, that is all about the Soursop's leaf properties. Now, I am going to talk about how to prepare the Soursop leaves tea. It is simple and only takes about 30-40 minutes of your time.
- First, pick about 7-10 mature leaves.
- Wash the leaves thoroughly.
- Prepare a clay pot for cooking, make sure that it is clean. Chinese traditional medical practitioners highly recommend the use of clay pot as oppose to steel pot, however any pot will do when you can't find any clay pot at your place.
- Pour a least 1 litre of water into the pot and wait an leave it to boil for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, pour the water into a glass.
- Wait for it to cool down and drink.
- Keep the remainder in the pot and drink them later. (You will have 3-5 glasses of Soursop solution in one preparation)
It is recommended that you drink the Soursop leaves juice at least three times a week. Here are the pictures to help you with the preparation. graviola.fi