Biological fatalism has been the predominant force in medicine over the past half century, where most conditions including cancer were believed predestined 'in the genes,' and therefore impossible to reverse. Instead of looking for root cause resolution of disease (RCRD), we resigned ourselves to 'finding it early' and in the case of cancer, when doing so (even when it was benign), we waged war against it, quite literally using weapons grade materials (mustard gas- and nuclear materials-derived agents). Now, however, in this post-Genomic era, factors above (epi-) the control of the genes – epigenetic factors – are taking center stage; these include environmental exposures, stress, nutritional factors, and various lifestyle-based variables that are within the ambit of our control and volition, and which are often reversible.
"A fundamental aspect to be taken into account is that epigenetic changes can possibly be reversed by modifying epigenetic factors, such as diet and lifestyle. Nowadays, identification of these factors is crucial to develop epigenetically-based preventions and more effective anti-cancer intervention strategies."
"Virtually, all dietary compounds have the ability to act at the epigenetic level in cancer cells thus influencing the epigenome in a positive or negative way. Particularly, plant derived compounds, such as polyphenols, have the capacity to reverse adverse epigenetic mutations in cancer cells, to inhibit tumorigenesis progression, to prevent the metastatic process or to sensitize cancer cells to chemo and radiotherapy (Vanden Berghe, 2012)."
- Cancer stem cells (CSCs) are chemo-radiotherapy resistant, causing tumor relapse.
- CSCs are known to reside within specific hypoxic and acidic tumor niches.
- Phytocompounds affect CSC self-renewal, metabolism and microenvironment.
- Phytocompounds might be exploited for cancer prevention and treatment.
- Are Cancer Stem Cells the Key to Discovering a Cure
- Turmeric Extract Strikes To The Root Cause of Cancer
- The Cure for Cancer Begins With Understanding It
- Study: Radiation Therapy Can Make Cancers 30x More
- Is Cancer An Ancient Survival Program Unmasked
- Research: Radiotherapy Causes Cancer, Blueberry Kills It
- Broccoli Kills The Stem Cells That Make Cancers Immortal
The following database sections are designed to make this task easier: