Table of Contents
- Suggested Medical Strains
- Advantages of Making Your Own Cannabis Oil
- How to Make 2-4 Grams of Edible Cannabis Hash Oil at Home
- Conditions that may get relief from cannabis oil
- Can I purchase hemp oil online, and is is the same thing?
- Quick Reference to different cannabis extracts
- Is there an even easier way to make cannabis extracts?
- Interested in vaporizers?
How to Make Marijuana Hash Oil At Home
- Eat just one drop of pure edible hash oil (the size of a grain of rice) per day. To start, you should start with an amount equal to 1/2 the size a grain of rice - you will likely need to work up to the full amount if you are not familiar with edible cannabis extracts as this extract is very powerful
- Some very sick patients have reported eating as much as 3 drops per day (spaced out in intervals), but when using pure cannabis hash oil, this amount is far too much for the average person
(I don't personally care for the names of all these strains, but they have proven genetics and the buds contain exceptional medical properties)
- Harlequin (clone-only)
- Cannatonic ↗
- CBD Shark Shock ↗
- Charlotte's Web (clone-only)
- ComPassion ↗
- Pennywise ↗
- Sour Tsunami (clone-only)
- Learn more about CBD on ProjectCBD.org
- Amnesia Haze ↗
- BlackJack ↗
- Chem Dog ↗
- Critical Jack ↗
- Dark Star ↗
- Orange Hill Special ↗
- Sour Diesel ↗
- Super Lemon Haze ↗
- Vanilla Kush ↗
- White Rhino ↗
- Quality Control - You choose which strain is used to make your medicine (Indica vs Sativa, THC & CBD ratios, etc ). You have 100% control over the creation process, so you know exactly what goes into your medicine.
- Can be eaten or applied directly to the skin - Rick Simpson Oil is edible and can also be applied topically (for things like burns, localized pain and/or moles), which makes it a great way to get the benefits of cannabis without the downsides of smoking.
- Can Be Produced at Relatively Low Cost - Edible hash oil can be made from inexpensive cannabis sources like home-grown medical cannabis buds or "trim." Trim is a name for the leaves and stems that are left over after harvest of cannabis buds. The cannabinoids which make cannabis buds effective as medicine are present in smaller amounts on the trim, yet many growers throw the trim away because it is not suitable for smoking. The process of creating edible hash oil (as explained on this page) is effective at concentrating these cannabinoids into usable medicine. Therefore, growers can turn their trim into edible hash oil instead of throwing all the leaves and stems away, which means these growers are getting more medicine from each harvest. If you live in an area where cannabis is legal, you may be able to find a grower who will give or cheaply sell you their trim. Many medical cannabis patients also choose to grow their own cannabis. A little effort can save you a lot of money.
- Ingredients - Most cannabis edibles contain other ingredients (like sugar) that the patient may wish to not consume. Consuming a pure cannabis extract (like the one produced in this tutorial) will give patients just the cannabinoids without any "extras."
- 1 ounce of medical cannabis buds - very dry & ground up - 2-3 ounces of medical cannabis trim can be substituted.
- 1 gallon Solvent (High Proof Alcohol) - 1 large bottle of Everclear is the recommended solvent for this cannabis extraction (Everclear is a very high-proof drinking alcohol that is suitable for human consumption). If Everclear is not available for sale in your state, other natural high-proof drinking alcohols made for consumption by humans can be substituted. The higher the concentration of alcohol (proof), the better. For this method, never use alcohol that was not intended to be consumed by humans (like rubbing alcohol)! Anything besides alcohol in your solvent may be left over in your cannabis hash oil, so higher proof spirits work best since nearly everything will be evaporated away, and anything left over is safe to eat. The solvent will be used to extract the essential resin and oil (the "good stuff") from the cannabis buds or trim. After all the solvent (alcohol) is evaporated away, you will be left just the pure cannabis hash oil extract.
- Medium-sized Mixing Bowl - Mixing bowls made of Pyrex glass or ceramic are best - avoid using plastic ormetal mixing bowls.
- Large Spoon - a large fork will do - wood works best, used to stir your cannabis around in your mixing bowl with the solvent
- Straining Device - Used to strain your cannabis alcohol mixture and remove the solid plant matter. This leaves you with just the liquid containing the resin and cannabinoids from the cannabis.
- Muslin bag (often found in the pots and pan aisle)
- Grain-steeping bag (made of muslin with wide weave - use 2 or 3 bags inside each other)
- A clean stocking
- Cheesecloth (often found in the pots/pans cooking section of a grocery store) & strainer
- Thai tea filter
- Coffee filters (don't usually work well) combined with a strainer
A separate container to catch strained liquid - A 2-quart mixing bowl works great, or you can get creative. The doctor in the video uses a tall, wide cup she found around the house. As you strain out the plant matter from your mixture, this container will catch the liquid that comes out the bottom.
- Double-Boiler Setup (or a pot and pan that stack neatly on top of each other) - A double-boiler is a type of pot and pan setup that can be found at any home improvement or super store. A double boiler allows your top pot to sit in a "bath" ofwater, so that the pot with your solvent never directly touches the stove's heating element. The top pot should be made of "non-stick" material and needs a lid that will close over it tightly. If you don't have a double-boiler, you can use a pot and pan that happen to fit together nicely. It will work as long as the bottom pan is full of water and the top pan sits comfortably on top.
- Silicon spatula - You probably have one in your kitchen already, this is used to scrape away the oil from your pan as it gets thick at the end
- Plastic syringes - These are often used for kid's liquid medicine, and can be found at the drug or grocery store. Because you are making such a concentrated form of cannabis extract, you will need to use these in order to dispense tiny amounts of cannabis hash oil.
Your Preparation Area
- Heat Source- An electric stove in your kitchen would work well. It is more dangerous to use a gas stove (if that's what you have) since a gas stove uses an open flame - you must use extra caution with a gas stove as the flame can ignite your solvent - keep anything containing alcohol at least 3 feet away from the flame of a gas stove at all times. A portable electric burner or a large tea warmer also work well.
- Fire Extinguisher - you should already have one near your stove, but double-check to make sure it's there and not expired
- Ventilation - your preparation space should be a large open area with excellent ventilation. Open any windows and have at least one fan moving the air around. Turn on the fan above the stove if it's available. Solvent fumes in the air can catch fire, so the best thing you can do to protect yourself during this process is to ensure there is good ventilation in your preparation space.
- Cooking time is about 30 minutes, and total preparation is 1 hour - After you've gathered all your supplies, it should take about an hour to make your edible hash oil. The first time you make edible hash oil will probably take longer. I recommend blocking off at least 2 full hours for your first time.
Step 1: Gather supplies
- When making Rick Simpson oil, choose a large area with excellent ventilation. Open any windows and make sure have at least one fan moving the air around. Turn on the fan above the stove if it's available. This is absolutely essential for safety, as alcohol fumes can ignite.
- If you have sensitive lungs or respiratory problems, it is also suggested that you get amask to protect your air passages from being exposed to the fumes from the alcohol evaporating.
- Be sure to have the proper setup equipment. You MUST use a double-boiler type pot and pan setup, where the solvent pan sits on top of a water pot - NEVER PLACE THE SOLVENT PAN DIRECTLY ON THE STOVE'S HEATING ELEMENT!!! This applies to both electric and gas stoves.
- "Plan for the worst, work for the best" - while the risk is very low using the method in this video, the fact remains that solvents are flammable and can catch fire, so BE PREPARED! One simple safety item to have is a lid that fits tightly onto your solvent pan. If a fire somehow started in the pan, simply put the lid snuggly on the pan and the flame will quickly expire. You should always have a fire extinguisher handy (not just for safety with this project, but for safety in your kitchen/home in general!)
- The most danger in this method comes from using a gas stove - this is simply because there is an active, open flame. For this reason, USE EXTRA CAUTION WHEN MAKING YOUR OIL ON A GAS STOVE! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have your solvent pan anywhere near the gas stove while the flame is on!!! I can't stress this enough - your solvent pan will catch the open flame very easily ... even when it's many inches away from the flame!! Double check to be sure the flame is off before bringing your solvent pan back to the stove!
- Do NOT make your oil when you're in a hurry or have distractions going on around you. Being in a hurry or having your attention distracted will create unexpected hazards.
- No matter how many times you have to reheat your water pot before the solvent burns off, do NOT grow impatient with this water method. The entire process takes about an hour and really does go quickly. It's the safest method and keeping things 100% safe is worth the extra time - again, NEVER EVER set your solvent pan directly next to or onto the heating element of your stove!
- After bringing your water pot to a full and rapid boil, check and double check that you've turned off an open flame heating element BEFORE placing your solvent pan back on top of the water pot!
- Arthritis, (there is some evidence that cannabis hash oil may provide relief when used topically on the skin where you're feeling pain)
- Chronic pain
- Crohn's Disease
- Dravel Syndrome
- Epilepsy, seizures
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma
- Joint pain
- Lack of appetite
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscle spasms
- Nausea from chemotherapy
- Neuropathic Pain
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- and many other medical conditions or symptoms
Strong Warning: Cannabis may provide relief for several conditions, but cannabis has not been proven to cure anything. Please beware any sources that claim that cannabis hash oil can actually cure any condition. There is not enough evidence to back up these claims.
2. Minimum amounts needed: 4 Sticks of Butter & 14+ grams of cannabis or trim
- Have you been looking for a table-top vaporizer like the Volcano, but aren't willing to fork over $500-$600 for a vaporizer? Read my review on the Arizer Extreme Q
- Looking for a small, portable vaporizer? Read my review on the Magic Flight Launch Box